Show and tell - Experiences working with a startup, the public sector, and building a Ruby CMS
- The GIST Lab
- 7pm to 9pm
This month’s ShRUG talk is from Andy Goundry.
The talk is a ‘Show and Tell’ session, where Andy will present some lessons learned working on products for a startup whose primary client is in the public sector, whose product requirements have been extremely fluid, and whose development team has been part-time and remote. Andy will also cover some of the technical lessons learned whilst evolving one of these products into an easily extensible CMS capable of hosting sites of vastly different content types.
The talk will cover lessons learned working in such an embryonic environment, plus technical topics, such as:
- Building a dynamic CMS capable of hosting vastly different site types, such as community engagement sites, content presentation sites, and video sharing sites
- Building a dynamic content model builder, with content model attributes, behaviours and automatic routing
- Using the Exhibit pattern (what worked and what didn’t)
- Attempts to decouple the app from ActiveRecord, making it easier to swap out an expected bottleneck
- The use of trello to manage the extensive and growing wish-lists, plus the completely remote team
More details will emerge as Andy writes his presentation.
Tickets are be available on our EventBrite page, please sign up if you’re coming. Someone will be around from 18.45 if you’re around and we’ll probably head out for a drink afterwards.